Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Domo Arigato...

Mister Roboto.

In spite of my dismay over Scouts & Merchant Prince, I am still curious (read: a pathetic addicted collector) enough to have laid hands on Book 8: Robots. It just arrived. I haven't really looked at it yet, on account of I'm at work. And I will, not so much to use it for this project, but just to see what it plays like. At first glance, there's a lot of attention to the OTU paid there: same business as Scouts & Merchant Prince. I'll be interested to see how the actual mechanics work.

I remember being struck by the relative absence of robots in Traveller back when I'd started with it all. I don't think I ever really gave it the kind of serious attention that I have done with this ProTU.

I don't have book 3 in front of me now, but I recall the TL for artificial intelligence is pretty high. So that's one limiting factor for the presence of robots in a Traveller universe. Many, if not most of the worlds in a rolled-by-hand TU are of insufficient tech to support robots in a significant way. But also, there's a lot of worlds with low pop and high tech that seem to scream for fairly advanced robots to bolster the meager human population. I'll futz around with it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Omer Golan-Joel said...

Keep in mind that LBB8 has an over-complex robot design system (I've tried it many times; quite time-consuming, more complex to design a LBB8 robot than a HG warship).

Also, OTU technology is very, very conservative (blame the Vilani :)); there ARE robots on many high-tech worlds (especially low-pop ones as you've noticed), but they tend to be firmly in the background. LBB8 robots with any level of intelligence or long endurance are EXPENSIVE and high-TL; building an android akin to Ash/Bishop from Alien(s) would cost multi-million Cr and be strictly TL15+, and even a more modest robot would cost tens of thousands of Cr for the very least.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Jwarrrlry said...

On a first read, that's my impression as well. 'Bots are generally much better used as background.

Although it'd be really neat to have a group really accustomed to bacground dum'bots, only to find themselves in a situation where it becomes really, really important to pay attention to what the 'bots are doing...

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home