Monday, June 19, 2006

Other Things I'm Trying to Settle On

It wasn't spelled out in LBB123 what sort of artificial gravity would be commonly found on starships.

When I first got the books back in the 80s my first instinct said that there would be no "magic gravity" aboard: Ships would be zero gee unless under thrust; ships pulling high gee would be uncomfortable places.

As I got more involved with the GDW published adventures and supplements, it became clear that this was not the official vision - that the Gravitics tech that was behind the Air/Rafts and grav belts and such like also powered "grav plates" that provided gravity on shipboard, and at least dampened the effects of high-gee maneuvers.

In retrospect, this is reflected in the rules: Book 2 never addressed the issue at all, and had it done so, there would have been ship costs associated with rotational machinery for example, or some assessment of the potential damage thereto in combat. It would complicate passenger travel hugely.

So as much as I might like to incorporate rotational grav and the like, I have to admit, the Classic Traveller Little Black Books imply ships with "magic gravity" aboard, and for the purposes of my project I'm sticking to that.

4 Comments:

Blogger KenHR said...

Magitech gravity is probably best to stick with for the game. Although I'm definitely keeping the alternative in mind for future campaigns!

I suppose you'd need a certain kind of player who would appreciate not having grav plates in the game. For most of the folks I've played with, they just want to play their characters and not have to worry about stuff like how to cope with zero-g.

My buddy Kev summed it up best when he was running an AD&D game and someone pointed out that he wasn't paying enough attention to how hard we were riding our horses or something silly. The player knew a lot about animal care in general, but Kev didn't want to bother with it. "Look," he answered, "as far as I'm concerned, your horses are like your g-d-damned car, right? You're using them to go from point A to point B, and point B is where all the interesting stuff is happening."

I loved the discussion your musing on this topic generated at CotI, btw.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Jwarrrlry said...

A whole lot of stuff IMTU is, in the end, going to be decided on a similar basis: It works this way because it DOES now do you EVADE or take the missile in the CHOPS?

I've been spending Waaaaaay too much time in CotI.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said man....AG is alive
and well in traveller....and
thats a good observation that
there really were no officail
rotational craft made...at least
that i know of...all the designs
were made for AG "assumed"..

3:28 PM  
Blogger Jwarrrlry said...

There's one OTU rotational ship I know of, the Lab Ship. It's described in S4, and it's the setting of "Death Station." It's set up as a rotational ring. But even that ship had grav/inertial plates installed - you just had the option of switching them off in case the AG would mung whatever sciency space science they were doing there.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home